FLUFFY 1-BOWL SUGAR COOKIES (VEGAN + GF)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add softened vegan butter (make sure it's softened - not melted or cold) to a large mixing bowl and beat or whisk until creamy and smooth - about 1 minute.
- Add sugar and mix on medium speed until fluffy and light - about 1 minute. Then add chickpea brine (or other egg substitute*) and vanilla and mix again, scraping down sides as needed.
- Add baking powder and sea salt and blend or whisk to combine. Then add gluten-free flour blend, almond flour, and cornstarch and mix on low until the ingredients are combined. I had to switch to a wooden spoon toward the end. Add almond milk and stir once more.
- The dough should be thick, moldable and a little difficult to mix at this point (see photo). If too soft, continue adding a mixture of the gluten-free flour blend, almond flour, and cornstarch until a thick, moldable dough is formed. If too thick, thin with a bit more almond milk.
- Transfer dough to the refrigerator and chill for 15 minutes*. Once chilled, use a cookie scooper (I like this one) or a Tablespoon to measure out 1 1/2 Tbsp amounts of dough and gently roll into balls - the dough will still be soft so be gentle. Arrange on the parchment-lined baking sheets with 1-inch room between each and press down gently with the palm of your hand to smash slightly.
- Alternatively, roll out the dough on a well-floured surface until about 1/4-inch thick and dip cookie cutters in gluten-free flour before pressing into the dough. Use a floured spatula to gently scoop onto baking sheets. This recipe works well with both cutouts and traditional circles!
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies appear fluffy and the edges are slightly beginning to dry out. Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a plate to cool completely.
- Frost cookies or leave plain! I decorated with some naturally-dyed sugar sprinkles like these. Organic cane sugar as a base should ensure vegan friendliness.
- Storage: Once cooled, store leftover cookies covered at room temperature for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Leave a Comment