Orange and Almond Breakfast Loaf
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (can use a mix of whole wheat and unbleached all purpose flour)
- 1 cup very pulpy orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup any unflavored vegetable oil, like avocado
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond and whole wheat pastry flours with the baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in any large bowl, mix the sugar with the oil, flax eggs, apple sauce, vanilla extract, and orange juice. Mix or whisk well.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the wet in two batches, mixing after every addition until the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Prepare a standard 9 by 5 inch loaf pan by spraying or coating with cooking spray or oil.
- Pour in the batter and even out the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry or with crumbs (not wet batter) sticking to it.
- Cool the loaf in the pan for about 30 minutes. Then slide out of the loaf pan (run a knife or spatula along the sides to help it along, if necessary) and place on a rack.
- Make the marmalade glaze: In a small saucepan, heat the marmalade and the orange juice until the marmalade is warm and a little runny. Brush or spoon over the top of the loaf.
- Sprinkle on some chopped almonds for garnish.
Leave a Comment