Peruvian toasted sweetcorn, avocado & quinoa salad
- 75g uncooked quinoa
- 140g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 75g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small pack coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions , trimmed and finely sliced
- finely grated zest and juice 1 lime
- ½ long red chilli, finely chopped (deseeded if you don’t like it too hot)
- 1 ripe but firm avocado
- 25g mixed nuts, such as brazils, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans and walnuts
- Half fill a medium pan with water and bring to the boil. Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve then add to the water, stir well and simmer for about 12 mins or until just tender.
- While the quinoa is cooking, put the sweetcorn in a dry frying pan and place over a medium-high heat. Cook for 5-6 mins, turning every now and then until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Rinse the cooked quinoa in a sieve under cold water, then press hard with a ladle or serving spoon to remove as much of the excess water as possible.
- Tip the quinoa into a bowl and toss with the olive oil, sweetcorn, tomatoes, coriander, spring onions, lime zest and chilli. Season well with black pepper.
- Halve and stone the avocado. Scoop out the flesh with a large metal spoon and cut into slices. Toss with the lime juice. Add the avocado and nuts to the salad and toss gently together before serving.
Leave a Comment