Spicy Tortilla Rollups
- To a small bowl add the pesto and Tabasco Jalapeno Sauce. Mix well and set aside.
- Lay all of your tortillas out on the counter.
- This makes everything go very quickly and you can see that you are dividing all of your ingredients evenly.
- Spread the sun-dried tomato pesto (link for homemade pesto) mixture all over each tortilla in a thin even layer. It is only about 2 teaspoons each tortilla.
- When you go to lay the layers keep in mind that you just want a bite of this and that in each bite that you take.
- Lay strips of the roasted red bell peppers all in one direction. About 5 strips, widely spaced all over each tortilla.
- Sprinkle about 5 black olives, sliced, on each tortilla.
- Lightly sprinkle the finely diced red onion over each tortilla.
- Lay about 5 to 7 baby spinach leaves on each tortilla. These actually touch and sometimes overlay each other. Don’t go all the way to the top edge with the spinach. Leave at least an inch so that when you roll up the tortilla the spinach stays inside the tortilla and does not stick out.
- Roll up each tortilla as tight as you can going the direction where the red bell peppers are laying widthwise as you roll.
- Lay on a cutting board.
- Stick a toothpick in the exact center of the tortilla to keep it closed. Not too close to the edge so that the tortilla does not tear. Grab quit a bit of the tortilla with the toothpick. See my photos for a visual.
- Now, you are looking down at the tortilla with a toothpick grasping the center. About every 1 1/2? or so, to the left and right, stick another toothpick to help keep the tortilla closed.
- Next, with a very sharp knife slice through the tortilla in the center space between each toothpick. You will get 6 appetizer rounds out of each tortilla. The ends are to go in a baggie and eaten as a snack – later.
Leave a Comment