This Vegan Sweet Potato & Mini Pepper Alfredo Bake features a creamy Spinach Cashew Alfredo sauce that is so cheesy, rich and creamy! A gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free comfort food recipe that is big in flavor! Allergen Information: Dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, yeast-free, corn-free, gluten-free, grain-free, refined Oil-free.
You know what happens when Wholefoods has white sweet potatoes under sweet potato label and orange sweet potatoes under yam label? Hubbs picks up white sweet potato.:) He is our default grocery shopper and has become amazingly efficient at that.
The days I can walk around and shop I take double the time to shop:) Browsing around, picking up random things. He picks up new things to try too, but he does everything in record time. He is the most awesome husband I tell ya. This past month, I haven’t had the luxury to walk around like that because of the unpredictable balance. The concrete/tile/hardwood under my feet doesn’t work well when my balance is off and add to that the shiny floors, people moving around and I stop breathing. Someone roll a thick carpet for me will ya.
So in the pictures, this sweet potato bake has white sweet potatoes. There are several types of sweet potatoes, white, orange, purple. This will work with either of them.
THIS VEGAN ALFREDO BAKE IS LIKE A GRAIN-FREE LASAGNA FOR ONE!
This bake is like a no grain mini lasagne for 1, with the layers of sweet potatoes, mini peppers, tomatoes and alfredo which has been amped up with spinach.
You can add any thinly sliced up veggies like zucchini, cauliflower, eggplant, Mushrooms and more.
We have been slowly changing out other things in the house, getting more cognizant about where our clothes and shoes come from.
Apart from not using leather, fur, silk and other animal-derived clothing, there is also the consideration of atrocious working conditions in most of clothing and shoe factories, child labor, exploitation and such.
What are your favorite eco-animal-people friendly brands?
You can read more about tips to keeping your closet Sweatshop free here.
And a couple of Organic, Eco-friendly and Vegan brands here.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS VEGAN SWEET POTATO ALFREDO BAKE:
- Nutritional yeast packs in tons of cheesy flavor and makes this Alfredo bake extra delicious so do not skip it.
- We use cashew flour to thicken this gluten-free alfredo sauce.
- Spinach lends this vegan cashew alfredo bake a beautiful green color and provides such a nice contrast to the layers of sweet potatoes and yams.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR THIS VEGAN ALFREDO BAKE RECIPE:
- I used cayenne pepper in the sauce because even my alfredo has to be spicy. Feel free to omit.:)
- You can add a layer of lasagna noodles if you want.
- If using a larger ramekin, add other veggies/mushrooms and sauce layers and bake for at least an hour.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO, MINI PEPPER & SPINACH ALFREDO BAKE:
- Get veggies ready. and whip out the magic bullet. Make the alfredo sauce by blending all the ingredients of the alfredo. Taste and adjust salt level.
- The sauce thickens during baking so I did not cook it. You can put it in the microwave to thicken it a bit.
3. Grease the ramekin if you plan to remove the bake. Add a little alfredo in the greased ramekin and top with sliced sweet potatoes, letting them overlap to form a continuous layer.
4. Top the potatoes with mini peppers, tomato slices, radish, and drizzle enough alfredo to cover.
5. Top with sweet potatoes, tomato slices, more alfredo.
6. For the final layer, you can use breadcrumbs mixed with dried herbs (I used an Italian blend) and salt.
Or add sweet potato slices brushed with olive oil for a crunchy sweet potato top. Sprinkle some herbs and salt on top.
7. Bake for 45-50 mins at 370 F. Serve the Alfredo Bake as is warm in the ramekin. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before removing from the ramekin.
8. Let it cool for 10 minutes before removing from ramekin or serve in the ramekin.
- Add a Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil or vegan butter to the alfredo for a creamier sauce.
- Skip the spinach.
- Use other herbs and spices for sauce variations like chipotle flakes, ranch seasoning, etc.
- Add other sliced veggies like Zucchini, cauliflower, eggplant, or mushrooms. For a meatier texture, add some crumbled steamed tempeh layers.