THE BEST VEGAN APPLE CRISP
- 8 medium-large apples (4 tart (like granny smith), 4 sweet (like honey crisp) // organic when possible)
- 1 lemon, juiced (1 lemon yields ~ 2 Tbsp or 30 ml)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar (or sub organic cane sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch (for thickening)
- 1/4 cup fresh apple juice (or water)
- 3/4 tsp fresh grated ginger (optional // or sub 1/2 tsp ground ginger per 3/4 tsp fresh)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sub organic cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup muscovado sugar (or sub organic brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup pecans (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil (or mix the two 1/2, 1/2)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- Peel apples, quarter, remove cores, and use a paring knife to thinly slice lengthwise (see photo).
- Add to a large mixing bowl and top with remaining filling ingredients. Toss to combine. Add to a 9x13 (or similar size // as original recipe is written // use smaller or larger is altering batch size) baking dish.
- Rinse and wipe out your mixing bowl and add all topping ingredients. Stir to combine, then use fingers to break down any clumps of muscovado sugar. Pour over apples in an even layer.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour (uncovered) or until the filling is bubbly, the apples are very fork tender (especially in the center of the dish), and the topping is deep golden brown.
- Let rest at least 30 minutes before serving. This is delicious with coconut whipped cream or vanilla bean coconut ice cream.
- Best when fresh, though leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave or in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven until warmed through.
Leave a Comment