Ultimate grillable vegan burgers
- For the pickled onions, mix the vinegar and sugar with a pinch of salt until the sugar dissolves. Add the onion, cover and leave to pickle. To make the chipotle ‘mayo’, put all of the ingredients into a small blender (or use a stick blender) with a pinch of sugar and whizz until very smooth. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, whizz again until it looks like mayonnaise. Season, tip into a bowl, cover, and chill.
- Mash the avocado with a fork, then stir in the onion, chili, and coriander. Season and stir in the lime juice, then chill.
- To make the burgers, tip all the ingredients into a blender and pulse until combined. Divide into 4 and shape into burger patties. Put onto an oiled baking sheet or plate and chill until you need them, at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the barbecue or a griddle pan to high. Brush the burger patties with a little olive oil, then put onto the grill. Cook for 3 minutes then flip, and cook for 3 minutes more. Don’t keep moving the burgers or they will be more likely to break up, and you want a good crust on them.
- Lightly char the burger buns on the grill, then spoon in a dollop of the ‘mayo’ to the base. Add a few lettuce leaves. Top with a burger, then adds a spoon of guacamole and a few drained pickled onions. Add another spoon of mayo to top, some tomato slices, and sandwich on top. Secure with a skewer if you need to. Serve with mustard or ketchup, if you don’t have your full fix of sauces and toppings!
Leave a Comment