These vegan brownies are incredibly fudgy and SO chocolatey. Plus, they are a little bit healthier than most brownie recipes.
These homemade Vegan Brownies defy every brownie rule.
They’re rich without butter. Fudgy without eggs. And they even have that crisp, shiny brownie crackle that everyone loves ❤️
Welcome to the wonderful world of Vegan Brownies.
This past week I’ve been running a brownie marathon – is that a thing?! I had a big task. To make a delicious chocolate brownie WITHOUT using butter, eggs or milk. I won’t lie, it took a while to get there.
But after eating brownies morning to night, I can safely say, it is possible. And the results are EPIC!
These Vegan Brownies are AMAZING and seriously rival a regular brownie. I KNOW. Can you believe it?! They have chewy edges, a fudgy choc centre and even a crackly top that makes you want to dive face first into the pan.
You’ll see above that it took 6 tries to get these Vegan Brownies just right. Sometimes the hardest recipes to crack yield the most delicious results. You just need a little gumption – and a really good dishwasher.
So like my Dairy Free Brownies, these Vegan Brownies use oil as their main fat rather than butter. But what to do about the eggs? I knew I wanted to create brownies that didn’t use any sort of weird egg replacement, so it would easy for people right across the globe to make them.
So I first tried an oil-based brownie recipe just without eggs to see what happens. They tasted good, but fell apart. Next, I tried adding apple puree. These brownies held their shape but surprisingly went a little rubbery. Next, I tried adding a little melted chocolate and reduced the amount of almond milk. They were the worst of all – flat and oily!
Then I tried adding almond butter but they were meh! I started to get a little desperate at this stage and my fridge was overflowing with below-average brownies.
Version 5, I switched from a cocoa-based brownie to using real chocolate, while also reducing the oil and increasing the almond milk. The flavour and texture were much better but they were almost cake-like. Not cakey but actual cake. Finally, I tweaked the measurements and version 6 was pure perfection. 👌🏻
These Vegan Brownies are soft and cakey if you enjoy them straight from the oven. But if you want them uber-fudgy like pictured, then leave them in the fridge for a few hours. It helps them to ‘set’, hold their shape and get stick-to-your-teeth kinda fudgy. I like them both ways.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BROWNIES
- You’ll love how quick and easy these Vegan Brownies are to make! The video below shows that you just need a bowl and spoon – no electric mixer required.
- These chocolate brownies use real chocolate for better flavour and texture. If you simply want these to be egg-free, you can use regular dark chocolate, but for Vegan Brownies, you’ll need to hunt down dairy-free dark chocolate.
- Stir together the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients – it’s as simple as that! Just try not to over mix. Only mix until there are no more pockets of flour.
- The chocolate chips are optional – I’ve tried with and without – both are delish.
- Try not to over bake these brownies as they will turn very cakey. Bake just until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. For a fudgier brownie, place them in the fridge for a few hours – they’ll turn SUPER fudgy.
HOW TO STORE VEGAN BROWNIES
- These brownie are best kept in the fridge. If you would like to enjoy them warm, microwave for 10-15 seconds before serving. You can also freeze any leftovers!
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below.